At Adrad Radiators, we’ve been in the radiator business since 1934 and have earned a reputation from private customers and other industry specialists as radiator experts who deliver quality products and services every time.
“To have satisfied customers served by happy, competent employees working for a progressive company.”
1934: National Radiators Limited is Incorporated
1962: Land Purchased
1963: New building and official opening
1966: The building is extended
1975: Lewis & Brownie purchased
1984: New radiator cores introduced
1985: Lean manufacturing process
In late 1985 Alf King took over as General Manager. He initiated the lean manufacturing process making National Radiators a ‘Just in time Supplier’ to the ten Car Assembly Plants in New Zealand.
At this stage the annual production was:
• 75,000 OE Assemblies – 100 different models.
• 75,000 Replacement Cores.
• 120,000 Pressure Caps.
• 150 Employees in Wellington, Dunedin and Boston Road Auckland.
• First Fax Machine.
During this period the combination of:
Reduced tariff protection on motor vehicles, the move to plastic tank radiators and the predicted lower number of vehicles of assembled in NZ were the reasons behind the decision to close the OE plant in Wellington by April 1988.
In mid 1987 National Radiators acquired Radiator Industries and amalgamated the two companies into one aftermarket plant at the current site in Walls Road in April 1988.
The National Radiators Boston Road Branch in Auckland was closed at the same time and the repair shop was moved to the Walls Road plant.
Bulk Stock Sale of Components.
1988: Radiator Industries merger
In the late 1980s until 1998 we witnessed the largest changes in the New Zealand automotive industry history.
Some of the car assembly plants closed down and the remaining plants started to import CBUs (completely build up cars).
The Government then also opened the door for used car imports, which amounted to more than 100,000 used vehicles being imported every year. By 1998 all the car assembly plants were closed.
By now the New Zealand car park consisted of a very large range of models and to service the replacement radiators for all these models was a great but rewarding challenge.
During the first few years the Walls Road Plant manufactured 70,000 replacement cores and sold up to 18,000 plastic tanks per annum.
However, during the mid 1990’s the Japanese used parts warehouses started up and became the largest competitor to National Radiators competing with second hand radiators.
Some of the largest insurance companies used second hand radiators for crash repairs.
In order to stay competitive and profitable National Radiators had to reduce cost and the staff level was gradually reduced.
As part of the cost reduction plan we closed the Dunedin Branch and moved the vintage core manufacturing equipment to Auckland.
In 2001 another competitor entered New Zealand when Adrad opened a warehouse in Penrose only a short distance from our Walls Road Plant. Adrad was very aggressive in obtaining market share by offering Quality products at super competitive prices.
In 2003 our competitor Radev Radiators sold their manufacturing plant to Adrad, providing them with instant access to radiator core manufacturing in New Zealand.
2006: Adrad acquired the Natra Group
- Air Radiators
- National Radiators
Easy way to reach us in an Emergency
We’re happy to work on small radiator jobs right through to huge industrial radiators
ADRAD NATIONAL RADIATORS
35-41 Walls Road,
0800 628 723
Monday – Friday: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Adrad nationwide radiator network